Much like a job interview, you must make sure that this home care solution is going to be the right fit for you and/or your loved one. Don’t be afraid to ask questions to get to know the provider, or individual who will be providing care and/or companionship.
We worked with some of our trusted home care resources to develop of list of important questions to ask prospective home care agencies:
- Most importantly, does the care provider or companion understands my needs or a diagnosis?
- How does the agency vet home care professionals? Do they complete background checks?
- Is the agency licensed by the state?
- What type of training have the home care specialists received; are they required to keep up-to-date with new advances?
- How is the client’s care plan and progress documented? If needed, how is this information communicated to family members?
- How does the agency address caregivers/clients who are not a good match?
- What is the procedure to address a caregiver who is not fulfilling his or her duties?
- What is the protocol for emergencies or for when a caregiver calls out of work?
Lastly, ask the home care agency to meet with a potential caregiver to get a feel for the fit and/or to provide you with a list of references. It is important that you feel comfortable and know that you are receiving the highest quality of care in your home.
If the process of selecting a Home Care Agency feels overwhelming, we can help. Call 617-227-1600 or email email@example.com to learn more!
Feel like you need additional guidance or individualized support?
Our team of Certified Senior Advisors® and Certified Dementia Practitioners® has helped hundreds of older adults and their families. For more information or to schedule a free consultation, call 617-227-1600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dovetail Companies provides one point of contact for all services seniors may need when transitioning from their longtime home, minimizing stress and providing peace of mind to focus on the transition rather than the logistics. Dovetail Companies is the parent company to three subsidiary companies; Dovetail Support Services, Dovetail Financial and Dovetail Real Estate Group. For more information, visit www.dovetailcompanies.com or call 617-227-1600.