What To Look For In An Assisted Living Community
One of the most daunting, yet important decisions, can be finding the right Assisted Living community. In today’s day in age, Assisted Living communities are popping up all over the place and the biggest challenge is understanding which one is right for you. Think back to when you purchased your home or helped a child with their college search, there were many factors that helped you make or aid those major life decisions. Before you get started, ask yourself the following:
- What type of care do I need now? What type of care might I need in the future (i.e. based on historical medical events or diagnosis)?
- What location am I looking in?
- What can I afford?
- What do I want for my future (i.e. do you want to be social, do you want to be part of a community, do you want to keep to yourself)?
- What are my must-haves?
Once you have narrowed down your search by location, it is important to start doing some research and understand what each community has to offer.
- What is the maximum level of care that can be provided?
- What is the monthly cost?
- What does the community have to offer?
- What types of activities/programming do they offer?
- What types of training do they require of their staff?
Next, take the time to visit! Before you visit the community, make sure you are going at a time where you will see what you want to see. If you are looking to observe resident life, go when there are activities taking place or during a mealtime. Understand from the community representative when you should visit. You will get a sense of the community the moment you walk through the front door. Is it a place that feels like home? Is the staff welcoming and friendly? Is the staff interacting with other residents? Remember your first impression.
Determining if you are going to move, when you are going to move and where you are going to move are up to you! Take your time, and know it’s the right fit.
If the process of selecting an Assisted Living Community seems overwhelming, there are professional assisted living advisors to assist you in the process. Contact us today to learn more!